
Three Guitar Zens
1. Zen Guitar
2. The Book of Six Strings The Six Fold Path of Zen Guitar (National Guitar Workshop)
3. Philip Toshio Sudo's music
About 8 or 9 years ago I discovered the book Zen Guitar by Philip Toshio Sudo, and I found it very helpful, when read in conjunction with The Inner Game Of Music, in helping me break out of self-restrictive patterns as a guitarist. The two books approach the same problem from slightly different perspectives. While The Inner Game Of Music is about quietening that little voice that says ‘I can’t!,’ and amplifying the one that says ‘I can!,’ Zen Guitar says ‘I do,’ encouraging the reader to explore their own musicality for what it is, and to enjoy the process of learning while also taking time to stop and enjoy the moment.
Philip Toshio Sudo played guitar in a band called Avant Garbage, and in addition to Zen Guitar he wrote Zen Computer, Zen Zex (oo-eer) and Zen 24/7. He released a critically acclaimed album called One Sound One Song. He passed away from cancer in 2002 but his works are widely available today and I recommend Zen Guitar to every guitarist, regardless of genre or level.
No comments:
Post a Comment