Click any title to buy the album
Pat Travers - Radio Active,
Tommy Emmanuel - Center Stage DVD
Mel Bay
Come for the Beatles medley, stay for ‘Initiation,’ but maybe dip out for a wee when Tommy plays ‘I Go To Rio.’ The sound and video quality of this release are outstanding, with lots of close-ups of Tommy’s impeccable technique, which is great news for Tommy fans but quite heartbreaking for Maton guitar fans, as Tommy wails and wallops his beloved acoustic to within an inch of its life, then wallops it a few more inches for good measure.
Various - We Wish You a Metal Xmas...and a Headbanging New Year
Eagle Records
‘Silent Night’ featuring Chuck Billy and John Tempesta (Testament), Scott Ian (Anthrax), Jon Donais (Shadows Fall) and Geoff Tate (Queensryche). ‘God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen’ by Ronnie James Dio and Tony Iommi (Heaven & Hell/Black Sabbath). ‘Run Rudulph Run’ by Lemmy (Motorhead), Billy F Gibbons (ZZ Top) and Dave Grohl. What more do you need to know?
Faxed Head - From Coalinga to Osaka
Mimicry
Okay, this freaks me out because on the way to work this morning I was listening to Mr Bungle’s ‘Disco Volante’ and I thought “I wonder if Trey Spruance is releasing anything soon.” Then I log on and find this. Yet another brilliant side project from the Mr Bungle/Faith No More/Secret Chiefs 3 guitarist.
Joe Satriani - Surfing With The Alien (Vinyl)
Sony Legacy
If you’re a guitarist and you don’t have this album, there’s probably something wrong with ya – there, I said it. Sony Legacy rereleases this noodle-filled classic on vinyl to coincide with Satch’s current US tour. Read my recent Joe Satriani interview here.
Faxed Head - From Coalinga to Osaka
Joe Satriani - Surfing With The Alien (Vinyl)







4 comments:
What do you mean "heartbreaking for maton guitar fans."
I'm not familiar with Tommy Emmanuel at all. so I don't get it.
I mean Tommy's very rough with his Maton brand acoustic guitar. It's very battered, as you'll see from this picture: http://www.justinguitar.com/images/MA_images/Tommy_Emmanuel/GreatTommyPhoto.jpg
Maton is an Australian-made brand who make amazing instruments, especially their dreadnaught and concert-size acoustics. http://www.maton.com.au
Yngwie makes me laugh, that cover is hilarious. I always think he can't be a complete twat because he doesn't take himself too seriously but then I just watched an interview over at Blabbermouth and he is so arogant! Great guitarist though.
By the way I hope you have both entered the tommy competition over at GuitarNoize.com?
Aaah ya gotta love Yngwie! I like how if he's autographing a fan's guitar and it's a Fender, he writes "Play Loud." If it's any other brand he writes "Play Fender."
I've already got the Center Stage CD and DVD (my review is in the current issue of Mixdown) and a bunch of other Tommy stuff so I don't need to enter the Tommy competition, but I advise everyone else to do so!
Post a Comment